The Potters Guild of Baltimore
The Guild is a clay center dedicated to increasing awareness and appreciation of the ceramic arts. We offer juried membership opportunities, shared studio space and gallery space featuring curated exhibitions. Our gallery contains a selection of functional, wearable and sculptural work.
We are located in Meadow Mill, a historic, rehabilitated factory building in the Hampden/Woodberry neighborhood of Baltimore City, MD. The area is home to many artists’ studios, galleries and restaurants. We are conveniently located on the City’s Light Rail system, at the Woodberry stop.
The Potter’s Guild is fully wheelchair accessible from the front entrance of Meadow Mill. Our studio is located on the first floor, along with accessible restrooms. There is also a back entrance from the larger parking lot that has six stairs down into the studio.
Member + Student Space
Our studio offers opportunities to wheel throw, hand build and fire pieces in our electric kilns.
Art, Pottery + Gifts
Made by Local Member Artists
We feature monthly curated gallery openings as well as wearable, functional and sculptural gifts.
Founded in 1955
In 1955, fifteen budding potters banded together to organize The Potters Guild of Baltimore. The group originated at the Baltimore Museum of Art. Students became eager to find a way to continue in their work and with the support of then director Adelyn Breeskin, instructor Olin Russum and the consent of the Museum’s Board of Trustees, the newly formed guild had access to the Museum’s ceramic workshop twice a week.
Lucinda Primrose became the first president under by-laws stating the purpose of the guild was to “further interest in sincere, honest and creative craftsmanship.” Members made contributions to cover rent, materials and a fund toward purchase of a kiln.
Armed with special museum passes and carrying baskets of all kinds; the members of the Guild trekked in and out of the Museum leaving a wake of red clay dust on highly polished marble floors. On a few disastrous occasions, kilns were left to fire beyond their limits leaving a mess of melted pots.
After 2 years months of searching, the Guild settled outside the museum and into quarters at 201 Homeland Avenue. With the help of a bank loan and generous contributions from members and friends, they were able to put together a workable studio.
Over 60 years later, through a major recession and flooding The Potters Guild of Baltimore has stood the test of time. We continue to focus on community engagement, craftsmanship and creative development through clay.